Llanrhystyd – Extract from “Transactions Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society” by William Edwards 1939
By William Edwards, University College of Wales, Aberystwyth.
LLANRHYSTYD is named after St. Rhystyd, to whom the Parish Church is dedicated. St. Rhystyd, the son of Hywel Vychan ab Emyr Llydaw, was one of the missionaries who accompanied the celebrated Cadvan and Sulien from Armorica in the sixth Century. He chose this spot to found a religious settlement. It is recorded that he was also some-time bishop of Haminiog, and that on the north side as Mefenydd. Haminiog and Mefenydd were the names of two cwmwds in the cantref of Mabwnion. Meyrick states that Mefenydd means the mountainous cwmwd, while Haminiog means the unobscured cwmwd.
“The mile of alluvial tract,” to quote Turner again, “stretching down from the village to the shore is unintresting, unless we imagine its appearance under the Danish invasion of Godfrey in pre-Norman times, when wild-looking galleys with fierce figured prows looked horror upon the primitive village, and the stalwart sea-king harassed the shore. These Vikings showed at this time their animosity to religious institutions by the destruction of Llanrhystyd Church as well as the churches of St. David’s, St. Dogmell’s and Llanbadarn”.
Prince Meredydd had to pay them a “penny per head” to get rid of them.