Haminiog is a coastal Townships, a secular division of land in late medieval Wales, within Llanrhystud parish boundary an area of 8770 acres, on the A487 in the county of Ceredigion, nine miles South of Aberystwyth and six miles North of Aberaeron, Wales.
The Kingdom of Ceredigion
The Kingdom of Ceredigion was one of several Welsh kingdoms that emerged in 5th-century post-Roman Britain. Its area corresponded roughly to that of the modern county of Ceredigion. The kingdom’s hilly geography made it difficult for foreign invaders to conquer. Cardigan Bay borders to the west. Ceredigion means “the people of Ceredig.”
Haminiog in the Uwch Aeron Cantref
“A Cantref is a measurement of a hundred (literally, it means “one hundred”). A Commot is a community, the word derivies from the same root as Cymru–comrad, compatriot, neighbour.”
“Cantrefi were of particular importance in the administration of the Welsh law. Each cantref had its own court, which was an assembly of the “Uchelwyr“, the main landowners of the cantref. This would be presided over by the king if he happened to be present in the cantref, or if he was not present by his representative. Apart from the judges there would be a clerk, an usher and sometimes two professional pleaders. The cantref court dealt with crimes, the determination of boundaries and matters concerning inheritance. The commote court later took over many of the functions of the cantref court, and in some areas the names of the commotes are much better known than the name of the cantref of which they formed parts.”
Haminiog a coastal Township
When Edward I of England conquered Wales in 1282, he divided it into counties. Cardiganshire was an Anglicisation of the name for the historic kingdom of Ceredigion. It was one of the thirteen historic counties of Wales. The hundreds of Cardiganshire were Genau’r-Glyn, Ilar, Moyddyn, Penarth and Troedyraur.
Townships in Wales were established by an Act of Parliament in 1539. The Act was an adjunct to the Act of Unions for Wales 1536-1542. The Act was passed on 28 April 1539.
Finally Haminiog a coastal Township in the hundred of Ilar, which lies on the shores of Cardigan Bay. It boarders Mefenydd in the north (in the Uwch Aeron cantref) and Llanddeiniol to the far north west. The Maenors of Ilar hundred were Cilcennin, Ciliau Aeron, Gwnnws, Henfynyw, Llanafan, Llanbadarn, Trefeglwys, Llanddeiniol, Llanddewi Aber-Arth, Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, Llangwyryfon, Llanilar, Llanrhystud, Llansanffraid, Llanychaearn, Lledrod, Rhostie, Trefilan, Ysbyty Ystwyth, Ystradmeurig, Llannerch Aeron.
Maenor deriving from Welsh maen “stone” possibly originally describing the stone homes of local lords or the area sharing a single mill.
Maenors of the nobles and free yeomen (the maenor wrthdir), according to the Laws of Hywel Dda, the maenor wrthdir comprised thirteen “free towns” (trev ryd) of 1248 Welsh acres each and the maenor vro seven “serftowns” (taeogtrev) of 936 Welsh acres each. By the late Medieval period, each town was considered to have its own smith, plow (plough), kiln, churn, cat, cock, bull, and shepherd. Free towns was obliged to provide one pound of silver or its equivalent each year to the king for his entertainment expenses.
Llanrhystud Haminiog Township boundary map
Haminiog a Coastal Township
View boundary maps of Llanrhystud Parish:
- Full Llanrhystud Parish Map
- Llanddeiniol Parish Boundary Map
- Llanrhystud Parish Boundary Map (Mefenydd)
Llanrhystud History and Photographs
If you have any historical facts, old or new photographs of Llanrhystud or the local area, and your willing to have them copied for the web please inform the webmaster below, all photographs will be returned.
Do not forget to leave your comments regarding Haminiog below!